Global Science




Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sewer Treatment

I learned a lot about the sewer treatment plant in our town by going on a tour of it last week. I learned that our water gets clean by going through many steps of sanitation. The first part of this process is where the water enters that plant. It first goes through a big grinder that grinds up solid waste, toys, fish, and any other things that people flush down their toilets. I also learned that about 99.9% of the water that goes to the plant is clean. The next step is where the water is put into a big tank that pumps oxygen into it. This allows for the healthy microorganisms to eat the dirty parts of the water. Then the water goes into another tank which allows the solids to settle to the bottom and be taken out. This is the final step before the water leaves the plant into the Grand River. The water that leaves the plant is very clean.
I saw the recycling center for the first time last week. It was pretty cool. There were bins for plastic, glass, aluminum, and cooking grease. I will recycle a lot more knowing how easy it is to sort and recycle everything. It was very easy to understand how everything worked. I enjoyed recycling and will help my family to get more involved with it.